Camp Smith was a two-part project that never realized the remediation second half. PAC-DIV decided to flatten and pave over the pistol range that was the basis for the project. The pistol range dated from 1935 used primarly by Pacific Fleet Marines using .45 cal pistols. Over the years, the area beyond the impact berm had been contaminated by Pb eroded from the impact berm due to seasonal heavy rains and storms typical of a Pacific tropical climate. The area being considered for remediation extended well beyond the impact berm as a result.
Samples and Testing
TRL's personnel provided much of the labor and gravimetric separation through a test cell consisting of a small 12IN X 12IN duplex Pan-American jig. A small excavator was used to dig the sampling cuts into the berm face.
Shovels and buckets were used to collect the coarse samples, which were then broken down using screens and further classified by the mineral jig. Samples were taken wherever bullets were present on the trail.
Camp Smith pistol range is located behind the main area of Camp Smith, above Halawa Valley on the west side of the valley. The area was heavily vegetated at the time.
Bullets were found on pathways leading to the range, above and surrounding the original impact berm. The excavation for remediation would have been considerably more extensive than just into the berm to the extent of the bullet impact area.
Sample breakdown and evaluation was accomplished with a 12IN X 12IN jig test setup.
The test setup was improved slightly, after a heavy rainfall flooded the enclosed area used for the testing.